Fort Scratchley is an historical coastal Fort built in 1882. The Fort overlooks Newcastle Harbour and Nobbys Beach and is home to the only two land-based guns in Australia ever to be engaged in a Naval Engagement. The site contains a museum detailing the Forts history.
Fort Scratchley was in continuous use by the Australian Army until the end of 1972, at that time the Fort remained empty until being used by the local Maritime Museum. In 2004, the Federal Government led by John Howard allocated AUD 8 million to restore the site. When completed it was handed over to Newcastle Council and the Historical Society took operational control and continued to develop the site to what you see today.
Entry to the grounds is free but tour of the historic tunnels and gun emplacements are subject to a charge. The site is open 6 days per week (closed Tuesdays) and subject to weather conditions the time gun is fired daily. This attraction is 100 percent volunteer operated.
- Nobbys Road, 0, Newcastle East, 2300