Festivals of comedy, sailing, food, live music and theatre are but a few of Newcastle’s exciting line up of events this year.
Save the date - 2021 Events
Beach 5s Rugby, 26 Jan
Nobbys Beach, Newcastle
This five aside event is sand based and fast paced. A hybrid of union, league and touch, with no scrums, lineouts or conversions.
Head to one of Newcastle's best beaches, Nobbys Beach, this Australia Day and nab a spot on the sidelines to take in all the action.
Tip: The Kiosk at Nobbys Beach will satisfy all your hunger cravings on the day. Otherwise you could also pick up some delicious take away from local seafood legends Scotties to enjoy beachside.
NSW Beach Volleyball Tour, 30-31 Jan
Nobbys Beach, Newcastle
Dig, Set, Spike! See the state's best beach volleyballers in action on the golden sands of Nobbys Beach.
On day one, the elite athletes battle it out in round 7 of the NSW Beach Volleyball Tour. Then on day two, see Australia's future stars compete in the NSW Junior Tour.
New Annual, 12-22 Feb
Various Newcastle locations
Expect the unexpected...
- Intimate art gallery performance by renowned Australian musician Paul Dempsey,
- Augmented reality experience celebrating indigenous culture
- Discussion on women in leadership with Australia’s first female Prime Minister
- One of a kind acoustic performance with lead singer of much-loved band Something For Kate, Paul Dempsey
- Musical showcase of homegrown talent
Street art, open artist studios, live street performances and an exciting program of visiting artists across the 10-day event.
You won't want to miss this Festival!
Newcastle Food Month, April
Various Newcastle restaurants
Foodies mark your calendar for a month-long menu of food drenched events kicking off this April.
The inaugural Newcastle Food Month is 30 days of culinary worship featuring local chefs, eateries and produce – celebrating Newcastle’s burgeoning homegrown food scene. Expect 20 different events, three festivals and one world-class dining experience dished up by 50 plus restaurants.
Sailfest, 10-11 April
Newcastle Harbour will come alive this April for Sailfest, when everything from Olympic-class boats to model yachts will be racing. Highlights include: Offshore yacht racing, Olympic Class dinghy and keelboat racing and junior sailor events.
Take in all the action from the Newcastle foreshore, where there is easy access to the best cafes, restaurants and bars the city has to offer.
The Gospel According to Paul, 6 May
Civic Theatre, Newcastle
Catch Jonathan Biggins in his smash hit comical portrait of Paul Keating. Showcasing his eviscerating wit, rich rhetoric and ego the size of Everest, The Gospel According to Paul, captures the former Prime Minister’s key biographical milestones, landmark political achievements and personal obsessions.
WARWAR: The Art of Torres Strait, 29 May - 22 Aug
Newcastle Art Gallery
See the evolution and strength of Torres Strait Islander tradition and society through arts practitioners from the nineteenth century through to the contemporary art traditions of today.
Explore works of art drawn from Newcastle Art Gallery’s collection alongside newly created works and key loans from, local, state and national institutions, artists and private collections as part of WARWAR: The Art of Torres Strait exhibition.
By the way...
Newcastle plays hosts to a year-round calendar of events including:
- Civic Bar Beats at the Civic Theatre (every Friday until 26 February) Kick back and relax with a cold drink as you enjoy tunes from a local emerging artists.
- Friday Chill live music every Friday night in Pacific Park from January 10-March 27.
- Keep an eye out for upcoming exhibitions at Newcastle Art Gallery ‘The light fades but the gods remain’, showcasing the work of eminent Australian artist Bill Henson and Void which brings together contemporary Aboriginal artistic practice from across the country.
- Showing at the Lock Up until January 31 is Rosie Deacon’s ‘How do I know my parrot is happy’ exhibition, while the ‘False Sense of Security’ exhibition opens February 6 and runs until April 11.
- Catch a show at Newcastle’s historic Civic Theatre. Highlights of the theatre’s 2021 program include performances by the Sydney Dance Company, The Man with the Iron Neck and the 91 Storey Treehouse.
- Catch a home game for Newcastle Jets A-League and W-League or Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium