There's no denying Newcastle is at its best on a sunny Summer's day, but when the clouds roll in and the rain is pouring down, there are still plenty of things to do around town. Here's ten tips to get you out of the house on a rainy day:
1. Newcastle Art Gallery Situated just off Darby Street, Newcastle Art Gallery has an awesome collection of Australian art, along with a comprehensive program of local, national and international travelling exhibitions. There's always something different to feast your eyes upon.
2. Settle in for a long brunch on Darby Street After the Art Gallery why not grab your brollie and head to Darby Street for a long brunch. Darby Street is Newcastle's eat street, here you'll find an abundance of cafes, restaurants and bars. It's the perfect spot for a spot of people watching!
3. Watch a film at Tower Cinemas, followed by tea and scones at the Tea Project There's nothing better than escaping the rain for a few hours with a good film. Tower Cinemas on King Street shows the latest blockbusters along with a program of foreign and independent films. Afterwards why not visit the Tea Project (next door) and stay warm with some tea and scones.
4. Head to Westfield Kotara to browse the shops, grab a meal on the rooftop and a film Westfield Kotara is prefect to escape the rain! Here you can while away the hours with some window shopping, a bite to eat on the Rooftop and even a film in the Gold Class cinema.
5. Escape reality at VRXP VRXP is Newcastle's first high-end virtual reality studio. VRXP (virtual reality experience) is a creative virtual reality experience studio giving everyone from retirees and families, to technology enthusiasts and gamers the experience of life scale virtual reality.
6. Play a game of virtual golf at Slice Playing golf in the rain? At Slice Virtual Golf you can do just that. This indoor venue offers punters the opportunity to play virtual golf with their state of the art golf simulators. Better still you get to play with real golf balls and the option of either bringing your own clubs or using the onsite Callaways.
7. Get along to Merewether Surfhouse and watch the storm roll in With some of the best views of the Newcastle coastline, Merewether Surfhouse is superb on a sunny or rainy day. Here you can enjoy lunch and a few drinks, and watch the storm roll in along Bar, Dixon Park and Merewether Beaches.
8. Discover a secret bar and pretend it's not raining Escape the rain in one of Newcastle's speakeasy bars, such as Coal & Cedar or the Koutetsu. Step inside, and you'll be transported to anywhere in the world, with sexy mood lighting and no windows to the outside world who cares about the rain!
9. Settle in with a book and great coffee at The Press Book House A good book, a flavoursome cup of coffee and a quiet corner can be all that one needs to re-charge on a rainy day. On any given day of the week you can find all three at The Press Book House.
10. Test your lateral thinking at Unexpected Exit Escape Rooms In this real life interactive team game you'll get locked in an Escape Room with the aim being to get out by solving a series of puzzles, discover hidden keys and codes. All within the allotted time, but it's not as easy as it sounds.