Entertainment 02 4929 5333Newcastle City Centre
The Argyle House is one of Newcastle's biggest and best nightclubs. Prior to The Argyle House the venue was know as Coyotes Nightclub and Fanny’s Nightclub for 17 years.
Argyle House was built in the 1860s and to this day is a prominent building on the corner of Wharf Road and Argyle Streets. The Victorian Georgian style building is distinguishable in this view from Wharf Road and retains the verandah and cast iron filigree work and columns. Also evident are the later numerous extensions dating from 1903 to 1919 designed by Menkens and Castleden, well known and prolific architects in Newcastle and the Hunter. The building remained as the head office for the AA Coy from 1860 until its sale in 1967 and the relocation of the company’s head office to Tamworth in 1969. Though altered for nightclub use, with its change of use to Fanny’s Tavern and then a nightclub after its sale, it does retain some of its architectural value. The location of the building records the history of this precinct as the industrial hub of the AA Coy. From here the company managers could oversee the Newcastle coalmines and the loading and exporting of coal from the staithes until the closure of the AA Coy mines in Newcastle in 1918 and the transfer of mining to the South Maitland Coalfields. The activity did not cease and the success of the AA Company continued with the more profitable South Maitland Coal fields. This area continued to be used for the transport and export of coal and the AA Coy head office remained central to this activity until 1967. The Argyle House is also State listed Heritage building.